Saturday 27 March 2010

A little showbiz history



Glenn Close writes a blog called Lively Licks which is linked to Fetch Dog, a website selling dog merchandise. She was asked to write an introduction on Lauren Bacall whom she went to visit in her New York apartment. Ms Close came face to face with Bacall’s Papillon named Sophie, a though cookie.

This is the first question Glenn Close asked:
GC: When and how did you become a dog lover?
LB: I was always a dog yearner. I didn't have a dog growing up in the city with a working mother. As an only child, I yearned for someone to talk to. When I was sixteen, we got a champagne-coloured Cocker Spaniel and named him "Droopy". He was very male. From the first moment, he was very possessive of me. All my dogs have been possessive of me. We eventually mated Droopy and kept one of his girl puppies---Puddle. I went to Los Angeles for a screen test when I was eighteen years old. My mother followed me out later. The dogs came, too.
In LA, Droopy was killed by a hit-and-run driver. There was a place in the valley where a nutty woman had a funeral parlour for dogs. I went to pay my last respects to Droopy. All the dogs were there in open caskets. Droopy was resting his head and paws on a pillow. It was terrible.

Bogey and I had Boxers. We were married on Louis Bromfield's farm in Ohio. Louis had Boxers that would fight under the table at dinner. He gave us a week old Boxer puppy for a wedding present. We named him Harvey, after the invisible rabbit. Harvey was really smart. He knew he wasn't allowed to get on the furniture so he would only put two paws on at a time. He would sit between us if we had a fight. Harvey died six months after Bogey. I went to see him at the vet's when he was very ill and said goodbye. Five minutes after I got home, I was told that after I left, Harvey had eaten his dinner and died.

1 comment:

Whispering Walls said...

Droopy, Puddle & Bogey...how ghastly!