Wednesday 16 March 2011

Spit in your dog's food

A dog trainer whom I shall not name gives training tips on the internet. This week's tips tell you how to establish yourself as the pack leader and this is tip 2 out of 3 of his basic tips:
Tip #2: Spit in your dog's food. This sounds disgusting, right? Instinctively, the most dominant dog in the pack eats first... which means that his scent (saliva) is on the food. The subordinate dogs in the pack can interpret this as a form of marking, thus you are saying, "It's not automatically your food! It's my food, but I'm letting you have some, because I'm more dominant than you."
I must admit this is a new one on me.  Definitely a different approach on a par with biting your dog when your dog attempts to nibble your ankles.  Not sure I agree with either.   Any reaction from other dog trainers out there?

5 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I can see the logic in this, I do not think I am going to practise it though. Although how many of us give our dog a treat from our own food? I am guilty of this as in the morning I always give Meg a tiny piece of toast that I leave especially for her.

ADDY said...

It makes sense, when you think about it, but I am no expert!

Eurodog said...

Thank you Duxbury and Addy for commenting. I am not sure I agree with spitting in a dog's food. I believe a dog is more in tune with the handler's body language and general attitude. As far as food is concerned: the pack leader eats first so if you want to be seen as the pack leader then put the dog's bowl out before the family eats, leave it on the counter whilst you are eating and give the bowl to the dog when you have finished eating and have cleared up. This is the strongest message you can give the dog.

Rob said...

It does make sense. In view of what dogs eat I guess a bit of spit won't hurt if you're run out of options.

Dog Training Products said...

Really, I am impressed from this post. The person who create this post is truly great. Thanks for sharing this with us. I found this informative and interesting blog so I think its very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.